Frank Cabot, founder of the Nature Conservancy, is a self-taught plantsman. Recently featured on Fine Gardening’s Web site, he shared some tips on making your garden memorable.
1. Listen to your site, and let it inspire you.
2. Immerse yourself in plants, and get to know how they behave.
3. Be patient, and expect to make mistakes.
4. Create sensual experiences.
5. Include unexpected and whimsical elements.
6. Allow your garden to reflect your personality.
7. Visit other gardens, and spend time taking in the experience.
Cabot walks the talk. Check out his work by googling Les Quatre Vents in Quebec. It is well worth the effort.
His words were enough for me to not give up the quest for beauty. Spring has arrived in Merlin’s Garden and I look forward to some good days in the dirt.